Only those legally able to work in Canada need apply. This is a casual position.
Branch Assistant required for Kipling Public Library Branch at least four shifts per month, or more as required.
Branch Assistants support the branch librarian in the operation of the local library branch. They perform a variety of clerical tasks requiring knowledge of branch library procedures as established by the regional library headquarters.
They circulate library materials and maintain appropriate records.
They assist patrons in finding resources/information.
They receive direction and training from the branch librarian and work with considerable independence.
Throughout their work, and particularly in serving the public, they are required to exercise judgement based on a knowledge of the organization of the regional library and its policies and procedures.
They report to their branch librarian or designate.
- Assist in carrying out circulation and registration procedures.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources and equipment.
- Shelve library materials and maintain orderly shelves and storage areas.
- Carry out procedures for the regular exchange and transfer of library resources.
- Supervise the use of the public library computers.
- Keep all necessary statistics and desk receipts.
- Supervise the use of the library space, equipment and furnishings.
- Maintain orderly and safe branch library service.
- Fill in for Branch Librarian as required.