This position is accountable to plan and carry out surveillance, investigation and evaluation of diseases, health determinants, injuries or conditions. The incumbent will also provide expert technical advice and support to Population and Public Health and Saskatoon Health Region management to assist with planning and implementation of programs to prevent and control diseases, injuries or conditions. This position operates under the direction of the Manager for the Public Health Observatory, Population and
Public Health. The department aims to improve health and reduce health inequity through surveillance, research, and knowledge transfer and exchange to inform decision making, policy and service delivery. The Department provides comprehensive analytical services to monitor and assess the health of the population, track trends and identify emerging issues in order to provide information for use in setting priorities for Population and Public Health, other Regional Departments and for providing input to operational service strategies.
- Masters degree including training in Epidemiology required.
- Training and experience in population health and public health surveillance preferred.
- Experience in database design and management, including maintaining quality and integrity of data.
- Experience in application of descriptive, quantitative and qualitative analyses methodology.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications including Microsoft Office, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and SPSS. A working knowledge of GIS mapping software is an asset.
- Knowledge regarding assessment of population health status, determinants of health, public health practices, health promotion, and population-based strategies.
- Ability to review and critically appraise evidence for public health interventions.
- Valid drivers license and vehicle suitable for use in performance of duties.
- Good attendance required.